Saturday, January 17, 2015

Movie Recap, 2014 Edition

103 movies for last year! Can't compare my "wish list" to this year because I didn't actually post one, but I can still do a "best of" for the year. As usual, I will focus on movies released in 2014 rather than 2013 or earlier. I wrote this in January and tweaked the Oscar mention at the end, but this focuses on movies I watched last year and not last year's movies I watched this year.

Favorites of the year (no particular order):
  • Edge of Tomorrow
  • Big Hero 6
  • Captain America: The Winter Soldier
  • The Grand Budapest Hotel
  • The Lego Movie
  • Guardians of the Galaxy
  • Fury
A lot of action films last year were pretty good. Namely, way to go Marvel! Marvel certainly had a good year for movies. Guardians was a surprise favorite of mine. Didn't particularly like it in theater, but it's become a "staple" to watch and I've rented it several times now. There are still things I don't enjoy about it, but it was good. Winter Solider still remains in my top 2 favorite Marvel films. The first Iron Man is just good, but Winter Soldier is good too.

Must see movie of the year: The Grand Budapest Hotel and Captain America: The Winter Soldier
Runner-ups: Edge of Tomorrow and Fury

Favorite stupid comedy: 22 Jump Street
Runner-up: A Million Ways to Die in the West

Romantic/Romantic Comedy: Huh. Really nothing in way of favorites
Runner-ups: I guess They Came Together for it being different

Horror: N/A

Family film (non-animated): Muppets Most Wanted
Runner-up: Erm...I guess Maleficent

Family film (animated): Big Hero 6
Runner-up: Lego Movie, How to Train Your Dragon 2, Mr. Peabody and Sherman

Action-Adventure: Fury (kind of more of an action-drama)
Runner-up: The Equalizer and Veronica Mars (not really an action film, but I'm throwing it here)

Sci-Fi/Fantasy/Comic: Captain America: The Winter Soldier, Edge of Tomorrow
Runner-ups: The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies (go for the action, not the story!), Hunger Games: Mockingjay - Part 1, The Maze Runner

Drama: The Grand Budapest Hotel
Runner-ups: Draft Day and The Fault in Our Stars

Worst of the year: Noah (by far the worst!), Walk of Shame, Transcendence

2014 Movies to See on DVD in 2015 (no order):
  1. Birdman
  2. The Imitation Game
  3. Selma
  4. The Theory of Everything
  5. Whiplash
  6. Gone Girl
  7. Wild
  8. Still Alice
  9. The Judge
  10. Foxcatcher
  11. The Boxtrolls
  12. Unbroken
  13. Into the Woods
  14. Interstellar
  15. Inherent Vice (maybe...)
  16. Annie
  17. Penguins of Madagascar
  18. Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day
  19. Exodus: Gods and Kings (have to see how bad it is!)
  20. Dracula Untold
  21. John Wick
2015 Movies I Want to (Most Likely) See (release date order):
  1. Blackhat
  2. Paddington
  3. The Wedding Ringer
  4. Mortdecai (I'm looking for a punishment...LoL)
  5. Black or White
  6. Jupiter Ascending
  7. Kingsman: The Secret Service (again, punishment!)
  8. Focus
  9. Chappie (...? I'm really on the fence about this one)
  10. Unfinished Business (...?)
  11. Cinderella
  12. Run All Night (another Liam Neeson action film, duh)
  13. The Divergent Series: Insurgent
  14. Furious 7
  15. Avengers: Age of Ultron (yes!)
  16. Spy (...?)
  17. Paper Towns
  18. Jurassic World
  19. Inside Out
  20. Ted 2
  21. Terminator: Genisys
  22. Minions
  23. Ant-Man
  24. Pan
  25. The Fantastic Four
  26. Maze Runner: The Scorch Trials
  27. Hotel Transylvania 2
  28. The Peanuts Movie
  29. The Hunger Games: Mockingjay - Part 2
  30. The Good Dinosaur (probably DVD)
  31. In the Heart of the Sea
  32. Star Wars: The Force Awakens (!!)
  33. Mission Impossible 5
Those movies I've listed, if I watch them all, that's about halfway to my normal 100-movie goal each year. :) We'll see...Never know what will happen.

As for the Oscar nominations, I've only seen 6 of the 8 Best Picture nominations to date. I really want to see the other 2, though. Do I think Birdman should have won? I'll comment on everything after I've seen everything (probably by the summer...LoL). I think Birdman was good, though (watched it this week). There are a lot of films in the best/supporting actors/actresses that I haven't seen too. Though, I have seen all 5 in Actor in a Supporting Role and JK Simmons was amazing. Absolutely amazing. Terrifying, but amazing. Norton would have been my runner-up pick. They like releasing all the Oscar films at the end of the year, but I will likely see them all eventually.

No comments: